Do you patch test?
Do you patch test?
For the best, most predictable results, Elleebana recommends patch testing new clients 48 hours prior to their lift, lamination, tint, henna, or extension service.
Why patch test?
Patch testing ensures your client does not have any allergies or sensitivities to the ingredients in the products.
It’s also a great opportunity to make the most of your time and fit in a full consultation for an excellent service! (Check out our previous blog: Client Consultations for FIVE Star Reviews)
How do I patch test?
- Have your client fill out an indemnity/intake form: Reactions happen, and oftentimes they are out of our control. Requiring clients to fill out a form which outlines any risks involved and lists any possible client contraindications helps you keep proper records and provide the best service possible.
- Test the product: We recommend testing products behind the ear or in the crook of the arm. To perform the patch test, apply a small amount of product with a clean, disposable applicator and leave on the client’s skin for 10 minutes before rinsing completely.
- Schedule your client: Once a patch test has been completed and no irritation or discomfort has occurred, you can now book your client for the full service! Keep in mind that reactions can occur within a 48 hour period after patch testing. For this reason, we recommend following up with your client within those 48 hours to confirm their patch test results and their upcoming appointment with you.
Which products should I patch test?
Eyebrow Henna: Elleebana Makeup Remover, Brow Henna Shampoo, Mapping Pencil, Henna Color (especially black, if this color use is anticipated, as it is more likely to cause a reaction than other colors), pH Activator
How do I make a profit patch testing?
Patch testing your clients does not mean wasting your product or your time!
Here are some ways you can utilize this appointment to your and your client’s benefit:
- Charge a consultation fee: Requiring a nominal fee for your consultation and patch test appointment will cover the product used as well as your time. For most of our US service providers, this appointment is typically 20-30 minutes and around $25. To make sure your clients acknowledge the service/fee benefit, you can subtract the cost off of the intended service. Ex: Charge $25 for a 30 minute consultation/patch test appointment. If your Lash Lift and Tint service is normally $100, subtract the consultation fee, and only charge the client $75 for their first full service with you.
- Don’t waste product: Did you know our lifting and laminating sachets can be opened and stored appropriately for 2-3 weeks for patch testing purposes only? (Click here to read our full blog post on product storage.) This will eliminate excess product use and supply costs immediately!
- Use your time wisely: If you schedule out a 30 minute consultation/patch test appointment, use this time to prepare for your client’s full service. Record what lash lift rod sizes, henna color combinations, brow lamination timings, etc. you will use in the upcoming service to make the most out of the appointment. By making a habit of creating an efficient consultation, you could even shave some time off the client’s upcoming full service appointment with you (there’s an automatic time and money recoup)!